Richmond to host gun buy-back event to try to reduce gun violence
RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — The City of Richmond will host its first gun buy-back event later this month. Here’s everything you need to know.
The event will take place at Liberation Church on Midlothian Turnpike at 10am on Saturday August 20.
Redemption will be available to anyone aged 18 or over. Participants are requested to place unloaded weapons in the trunk of the car when driving to the event.
In exchange for firearms, participants will receive gift cards from one or more of the following stores; Amazon, Foot Locker, Walmart and Kroger.
The value of the gift cards depends on the weapon, the amounts are as follows:
- Assault weapon returns will receive $250
- Handgun returns will receive $200
- Rifle returns will receive $150
- Returns of unusable weapons will receive $25
“The overall goal of gun buy-back programs is to reduce the number of firearm deaths and injuries in a community,” a statement from the City of Richmond said. “It’s often assumed that the purpose of a gun buy-back event is simply to get guns off the streets, but there’s more to it.”
Richmond also set itself three general goals for the takeover:
- Reduce the availability of firearms in the community.
- Provide the ability to safely dispose of firearms.
- Mobilize communities, raise awareness and change culture.
“We have too many guns in the hands of too many people who shouldn’t have them,” Mayor Levar Stoney said at a press conference announcing the event earlier this month.